Carry That Weight

It turns out that The Beatles’ complete back catalogue is pretty heavy.

I’m not referring to their musical genre, though Helter Skelter, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and I Want You (She’s So Heavy) are definitely on the scale. I’m talking mass. If you attempt to cram every album they released from 1963-1970 into a plastic bag and carry it into London, like I am this morning, you’ll be barely a few hundred yards into your journey before you start to put some serious stress on the handles.

There’s a reason for my ambitious luggage. I’m off to visit my friend Paul for a Beatles-themed soiree that’s been on the cards for years. We’ve finally got around to it, which is impressive, as it’s proved more difficult getting us both in the same room than John, Paul, George and Ringo in the 1970s (visa problems notwithstanding).

It’s actually not the Beatles complete discography that’s the problem. That fits in a neat and tidy box set. It’s the optional extras - the deluxe editions of the film Help! and the Wings album Band on the Run, plus The Beatles Anthology DVDs – that are stretching my bag out. I also shouldn’t have worn the Walrus costume. The things I do for authenticity.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.