That Rings a Bell.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm wasted on my own audience.

A few months ago, I went for lunch with my parents. This has become a weekly occurrence of late; something I'm pleased about, as it's nice to make the effort.

On this particular occasion we'd gone to the Half Moon in Hitchin, which is one of my favourite haunts, as I like their pets. They have a springer spaniel called Moon (who appears to be stuck permanently on the setting of a sulky teenager) and a chocolate labrador called Becks (who's a little more forthcoming than her moody counterpart).

While both dogs are friendly, they show considerably more interest when you're eating. They spend most of the day moving from table to table, pestering anyone with food.

The pub kitchen is upstairs, so the cook rings a bell to alert the bar staff when a meal is ready. This is also a signal for Moon & Becks, who leap into action when they hear it. Though I'd eaten at the pub a lot in the past, this was the first time I'd noticed it.

"It's just like Pavlov's Dog," I said to my parents.

They looked at me blankly; they didn't get the reference.

It wasn't them not knowing about Pavlov's canine experiment that upset me. It was the fact that there will probably never be another time in my life when this observation would be more relevant. Sometimes, life's a shitter.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.