Not Fade Away.


I heard Buddy Holly’s version of Not Fade Away in the barbers' this morning, while waiting to for a hair cut. It instantly put me in the mood to listen to more of his work. Such is my long-lasting love for the man and his music.

Buddy’s music has been a recurring theme in my life. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve listened to or played it (not that I was keeping tally). I toured as Buddy in Buddy Holly and The Cricketers for the best – and worst – part of seven years. Most of my actor / musician work gave a nod to it.

While I soon resented life on the road, I never grew tired of the music. I never took it for granted. Buddy was a friend I’d never met. He’d given me comfort through the years. He’d even given me a job.

Me pretending.


The warmth and purity of his voice still touches me. His tragic death still upsets me, even though it happened years before I was born.

Every night, while I waited in the wings for the MC to introduce me, I had a little moment. I’d think of him. I’d thank him. Sometimes we’d play a venue that Buddy had played himself. That was a privilege. The ghosts in the auditorium were with me.

A week today, I get married. True Love Ways will be played at the ceremony. He’ll be with me there too.

Thanks, Charles Hardin Holley. Thanks a lot.

Pretending again.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.