Check it Out.

In the six days I've been in Venice, I've not seen a single supermarket.

You're fine if you're after a Commedia dell'arte mask, a Murano glass ornament, or a snow globe of a gondolier - but if you're looking for groceries, you'll be sorely disappointed.

It actually doesnt have to be a supermarket. Any shop that sells food basics would do. I'm not out to buy a fake Gucci handbag (which, bizarrely, you can pick up right outside the Gucci shop), but stuff one with cakes and biscuits and you might rouse my interest.

If we'd been here for five days as we'd originally planned, it wouldn't be a problem. Thanks to EasyJet, our honeymoon was extended by two nights. Consequently, we've now reached the point where, given the choice, we'd much rather fend for ourselves.

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, so don't make me. The restaurants here are lovely. I'm a big fan of Italian food. I also like variety. Venice is one of the few European cities I've visited where other international cuisine isn't an option.

Sorry for sounding like a typical British tourist. I'm not being fair. I did spot a nice little market near the Rialto Bridge, but as I don't have sufficient apparatus to cook fish in my hotel room, I gave their wares a miss.

Shopping gripes aside, I've had a lovely few days. Yesterday, we visited the Gallerie dell'Accademia and an exhibition on the inventions of Leonardo da Vinci. Today, we went inside the Basilica di San Marco, which is beautiful. Stored amongst the relics there, I saw St George's dragon-slaying arm and St Roch's femur. It's not every day you can say that. If you did, you'd be lying.



Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.