The Forgotten Breakfast.


The other day, I added Weetabix to my mobile phone’s dictionary. The time had come to make a commitment.

(I’m referring to the word Weetabix, rather than the actual product. You wouldn't want flakes of wheat clogging up your phone’s inner mechanism.)

There are only so many breakfast-related texts you can send before you get sick of the little red wavy line that clutters them up. This is meant to assist you, but only winds you up, particularly when you know you’ve spelt the word correctly. It also plays havoc with your OCD; it’s a lose-lose situation.

It’s surprising that a food invented nearly a century ago with a name in common parlance has yet to achieve the distinction of being listed on a smartphone’s memory. This might just be the case with a BlackBerry Q10, though there’s only so much research I’m prepared to do on the subject. I’m not going to buy an iPhone to find out.

(While Weetabix isn’t recognised by BlackBerry, it is by Microsoft Word. I spy a Bill Gates-led breakfast snack conspiracy.)

When it comes to including cereal brands on a mobile phone’s dictionary, I guess there has to be a limit. If they included one, then they would have to include them all – and no manufacturer should be given preferential treatment.  

When I texted the word Weetabix, I was actually referring to Sainsbury’s Wheat Bisks. If Weetabix didn’t make the grade, I suspect a supermarket own-brand wouldn't fair much better.

I might stick to cornflakes in future.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.