Brighton Two (David Nil).


Tonight, we had our second and final show on the Brighton Fringe.

While it was slicker than Thursday, it felt a little low on laughs. It was a small house – and I got the impression that most of them hadn’t necessarily wanted to come up the stairs to watch us. We had a friend in - the super-talented artist, actor and musician Kludo White - plus an agent. Kludo did an excellent job of coercing a small crowd from the pub downstairs, when it looked like no-one was going to join us.

A few minutes before ‘curtain up’ (there weren't any curtains), it looked like we might be performing just to Kludo, his girlfriend and the agent. The audience would have outnumbered the performers by just one person, which would have been a very depressing prospect.

Thankfully, this wasn't the case. Though the reaction was quiet, they were enjoying it. Despite this, I still managed to convince myself very early on that they didn’t want to be there, and couldn’t shake this from my mind. I’m my own worst enemy.

I still think the show is in good shape. Both the agent and Kludo liked it, which was great. I was particularly pleased that Kludo enjoyed it, as he’s never seen us do stand-up.

I’m looking forward to performing it at the next two London Mostly Comedies in June and July. By the time we film it at September’s Hitchin Mostly we should know it inside out. That night we’ll share the bill with Stewart Lee; don’t let it be said that we don’t like to challenge ourselves.

You might like to read a little interview we did with The New Current to promote our Brighton show. Then again, you might not.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.