The Invisible Man.


There’s a man who works somewhere that I often go for breakfast who’s terrified of life.

I thought I was awkward, but he takes the biscuit. Everything about his body language screams ‘don’t notice me’. I doubt he could muster up enough physical presence to trigger an automatic door.

It’s as if he’s unhappy with inhabiting his own personal airspace. If he could exist in a fraction of the room, he do it.

(I don’t mean to be unpleasant. It’s merely an observation that I've pieced together over many a scrambled egg.)

It’s probably just a combination of his age and situation. I think he’s still at school, and only works at the weekend for a little extra money. His hairstyle is far too flamboyant for him to always be like this.

I know what it’s like to work somewhere that makes you feel uncomfortable. I used to do a Saturday job in John Lewis' catering department, and hated every single minute. When I was there, I was completely devoid of personality. I had absolutely nothing to say; it was as if I'd had a lobotomy.

(I guess it takes one to know one.)

Perhaps I should give him a hug. Would that be crossing the line? It's probably not wise. I suspect he might be held together by surface tension - and I don't want to make him burst.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.