Memory.


(Non-cat-lovers had best look away now.)

Yesterday morning, when I went into my front room, I noticed that my cat Millie was staring intently out of the window. When I went over to see what she was looking at, I realised she was watching an old lady in a headscarf as she crossed the road.

This made me feel a little sad.

Millie: butter wouldn't melt...


I’ve had Millie for about four years now. I first heard about her through a friend who’s a teacher, who I came into contact with through our mutual interest in cats. She used to own a stray called Suzie, who would visit my flat when my friend went to work.

I used to look forward to Suzie’s daily appearance. She’d miaow outside my bedroom window every morning, so I would open it to let her in. Over time we formed an arrangement, until eventually, Suzie wouldn’t even announce her arrival; I’d wake up, check the time, look out of my window and she’d be outside, staring up at me.

Back then, I lived on my own; consequently, Suzie became very good company.

Suzie.


Sadly, she contracted a form of skin cancer, which could have been more successfully treated if it hadn’t been for her time as a stray. The vets did the best that they could, but eventually her time had run out.

(My friend took on a rescue cat soon afterwards, so she wasn’t on her own for too long.) 

A few years later, my friend heard through work of a colleague who had passed away, leaving a pair of Yorkshire terriers and a cat that needed immediate rehoming. The owner had unfortunately lived on her own, so the animals had been left alone for some time.

By the time word reached to us the two dogs had new owners, though they had to be separated. As Millie was a house-cat, my friend knew she’d be perfect for us; consequently, barely a day passed between learning her plight and taking her home.

She was a little nervous to start with, though she was still very friendly. It only took a few weeks for her to find her feet; now, she very much rules the roost.


Millie: thoroughly modern.

As I spotted Millie gazing out of my window the other day, I wondered if the old woman in the headscarf might resemble her previous owner. I know she probably didn’t – and that I’m perhaps giving pets too much credit – but I couldn’t help but wonder. If she did, Millie could never tell me.

The downside with animals is you can’t explain to them what is happening. It must have been distressing for Millie and the two dogs to be left on their own for so long - and then separated.

I do hope her old owner would have been pleased to see how happy Millie is in her new home.

I know: I’m a little bit soft.


Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.