High-Tech Parenting.


This morning I received a text from my mum that simply read, "OM" – and for a second I thought she’d turned Hindu.

“Perhaps she’d finally found inner peace”, I thought to myself. Or maybe she’d just been listening to The Beatles song Across the Universe and thought she’d text me some of the lyrics.

I didn’t think any of the above, if I’m honest: I’m exaggerating for comic effect. I knew that what she really wanted to say was “OK”; any allusion to mystical Sanskrit was due to a slip of the digits.

This is what happens when people of a certain age are faced with modern technology. Over time, you come to expect it.

It’s like a few months back, when I was on the phone to my dad, offering him advice before he bought a new computer. He was thinking of getting a desktop PC, but I told him that for the sort of thing he’d be using it for, such as checking his email or internet banking, he might as well just buy a laptop.

Initially, he wasn’t convinced. I eventually brought him around to the idea, though not before he explained his misgivings with an unintentional but vivid mental image.

“But Dave”, he said. “I don’t want one with that fingermouse thing.”


I bloody love my parents.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.