Hanging on the Telephone.


Today, I’m pretending to not be waiting for my phone to ring.

It’s surprising how much energy is taken up with keeping this lie going; a fib that’s solely aimed at myself. I’m keeping busy; purposely putting my mobile out of sight, yet still checking it every few minutes.

Parkinson’s Law states that work will expand to fill the time available. Michael Parkinson’s Law suggests Billy Connolly will always be a great interviewee. Ephgrave’s Law, however, dictates that a watched mobile phone will never ring.

(I might patent that.)

The reason for the pretense is I’m waiting to hear about a job. Every time my agent says I’m down to the last few for something, I tell myself not to think about it – and every time I fail.

If there was an award for thinking about something I shouldn’t be thinking about, I think I’d probably win it.

I wonder if switching it off and on again might help.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.