Post-Gig Ramblings.


What more satisfying way is there to end your day than using a pair of tweezers to pull a large, painful splinter from your finger? 

(Don’t let it be said that I don’t know how to live.)

It got stuck in there about an hour ago, when I lifted the lid off the wooden staging we use Mostly Comedy, after the gig, to replace some of the equipment that we store beneath it. It went straight in with no messing about, then proceeded to give me gyp for the rest of the evening.

(People don’t use the word ‘gyp’ enough these days. Perhaps I can bring about gyp resurgence, though I'd better double-check the correct spelling before I do this.)

I quite enjoyed tonight (splinter notwithstanding). I wasn’t looking forward to it beforehand, mainly because myself and Glyn haven’t been able to work together much over the last few weeks; you can easily fall out of the natural rhythm you have as a double act when you haven’t spent much time in each other’s company. We also had a block-booking of twenty-two people who were out on their Christmas work do; work dos and comedy nights - like stag dos or hen dos -  often make for uncomfortable bedfellows.

I needn’t have worried. We had plenty of time before the gig to get act together (literally) – and the block-booking were absolutely no trouble. Our material was well-received, as was the rest of the night.
 
(I just had to quickly step away from writing for a moment to clean up some fresh cat-sick from my carpet; my life is non-stop showbiz.)

We did intend on interviewing the two other acts (comic magician Sam Fletcher and character comedian Brian Gittins) for our podcast, but in the end we decided against it, opting to stay in the room and watch the show instead. I’m glad we did this, as I love Sam’s stuff – plus I wanted to catch Gittins (A.K.A. David Earl), as I wasn’t there for his first Mostly Comedy appearance, back in April.

I laughed so much that my head actually ached.

All was also not lost with the podcast, as we still have a couple of unused interviews recorded with other acts over the past few months – so we recorded a little new material to link a couple of them together, after we’d packed up all our gear (which led to Splintergate.)

So, all in all, it was a productive night - incorporating comedy clubs, podcasts, splinters and the odd bit of cat-sick along the way. In my life, there’s never a dull moment.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.