My Forgotten Masterpiece.


Yesterday, I had my own personal ‘Yesterday Moment’.

(The second yesterday above refers to the Beatles song, Yesterday; the first to when the moment took place. Have I made my meaning any clearer? Probably not.)

It’s fairly well known that the song came to Paul McCartney in a dream. He awoke in the bedroom of his girlfriend Jane Asher’s house with the melody fully-formed in his head. He crept over to the piano (carefully negotiating his way past all of the cake-baking equipment) and worked out the chords to accompany it.

Yesterday, the same thing happened to me (minus the house-proud redhead). While I was sleeping, a brand new song began forming itself in my mind. My only problem was that when I woke up I couldn’t remember how the bloody thing went.

This isn’t the first time this has happened. It’s very frustrating: why can’t my brain have some sort of tape recorder incorporated into it.

What if Macca had had a similar problem? If he’d woken up to Asher rabbiting on about her forthcoming role in the feature film Alfie, the outcome might have been different.

It’s a shame the same can’t be said for ‘Wonderful Christmastime’.

In my dream-state the chord sequence seemed pretty intricate. It was played on an electric guitar with a clean, simplistic sound; the melody following a repetitive structure whilst the progression changed around it.

It’s possible that the song wasn’t an Ephgrave original. I might have been dreaming about Cher, Neneh Cherry and Chrissie Hynde’s 1995 Comic Relief single ‘Love Can Build a Bridge’ and subsequently forgotten about it.

I’m pretty sure this wasn’t the case. Eric Clapton certainly didn’t crop up to play a moody guitar solo.

I guess I’ll have to chalk my missing song up to experience. I won’t let it happen again, though: from this moment forth I’m sleeping next to a musical arranger.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.