Commuters? CommuTURDS.



I just had to practically dislocate both arms whilst climbing over another passenger on a packed train, because he refused to move into the empty seat next to him. 

While every bone in my body was bent in inconceivable directions, every bone in his despised me for choosing to sit there.

Not content with forcing a spot of commuter contortionism, he's now desperate to read what I'm writing. He keeps sneaking glances in my direction; trying to find a gap through my fingers that offers an unrestricted view to the screen of my BlackBerry.  

I CAN SEE YOU LOOKING, MY FRIEND. I CAN SEE YOU LOOKING.  

What is it with packed public transport that brings out the worst in society? I’m pretty sure that his bag didn't pay for a ticket. 

The woman sitting opposite just gave me a little conspiratorial smile; she knows this man's game just like I do.

It’s a shame that people resort to such selfishness when in public. I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve held open doors to people with no response, or stepped out of the flightpath of someone who's walking in one direction whilst looking in the other.

Thankfully, not everyone's like this: as I walked down to The Underground from King’s Cross Station today, a woman in front of me dropped a woollen hat from her coat pocket – and a number of people stopped her to let her know that she’d done it. She was very grateful, and smiles were passed between everyone involved.

There’s still some hope left for humanity.

Popular posts from this blog

Shakerpuppetmaker.

Stevenage: A (Tiny) River Runs Through it.

Hoo-ray and up She Rises.